This home was designed around two objectives: frame the view to the downtown skyline and shade the home throughout the day from the hot summer sun. .
Although the home's footprint is small, the open spaces, well-curated millwork, and large living room windows create a functional and comfortable residence. The living space has the best view, and windows along the south and north facades reveal two architecturally significant bridges that lead into downtown. .
Since the home was built with structurally insulated panels on the walls and ceilings and is tightly insulated, it requires very little to heat and cool throughout the year. To further reduce heat gain, the west facade has few windows, and the west-facing metal paneling has an air gap to reduce heat transmission through the walls. .
Certified to both NGBS (National Green Building Standard) and LEED-H, this home was the Department of Energy’s Home Innovation Winner in 2017 as well as the Structural Insulated Panel Association (SIPA) 2017 Building Excellence Winner.
Features and Benefits
- Maximizes Energy and water efficiency
- Zero Energy Ready Home™ Certified
- ENERGY STAR® Certified
- HERS Index Score 52 (the lower the better – and new homes built to code average 100)
- Passive solar design
- Roof overhangs that block summer sun but not winter sun
- Structural insulated panel walls and roof
- Reflective galvalume Class IV metal roof
- Reduced glazing on western façade
- Sealed concrete floor that feels cool to the touch in summer but retains heat in winter
- Tankless water heater
- Xeriscaping (low-water landscaping)
- Optimizes space, views, and privacy
- Urban infill lot
- Strategically sized and placed windows offer great views out, but not into the house
- Open floor plan
- Increases stability and durability
- Slabtek™ foundation
- Promotes indoor air quality/avoids common chemicals
- Indoor AirPLUS Certified
- All low or no-VOC paints, stains, and adhesives
- Formaldehyde-free cabinets
- Non-toxic pest control
- Square Footage: 810
- Bedrooms: 1
- Bathrooms: 1