The homeowners loved their location in a quaint Dallas neighborhood, but the young family of 5 was outgrowing their home quickly. They needed to expand, and wanted to take the opportunity to integrate energy and water-efficient features as they created a healthy living environment for their family.
We created a new addition that flows from the existing structure – it feels like it’s always been part of it – while changing the overall aesthetic from rancher to mid-century modern to better fit the family’s style. We designed the house with passive solar elements, including overhangs sized to control the sun during hot Texas summers. We took measures to protect the health of mature trees around the house during and after construction.
Built to the strict requirements of the National Green Building Standard (achieved Bronze level), this home won the NAHB’s Best in Green Remodeling Award.
Features and Benefits
- Expanded space and new elements
- Added second story and deck
- Converted kitchen/living room into great room
- Reconfigured master suite and added deck
- Added new interior finishes
- Improved energy and water efficiency
- Spray foam insulation
- New doors and windows
- All new plumbing supply and waste lines
- Promotes indoor air quality/avoids common chemicals
- Low or no-VOC paints, stains, and adhesives
- Formaldeyde-free cabinets
- Square Footage: 2,601
- Bedrooms: 4
- Bathrooms: 3.5
- Milgard® Windows & Doors